SFE Young Professionals year ahead
Hello and welcome to our first SFE Young Professionals blog of 2021. I’m Milly, the Chair of SFE YP. You’ll be hearing from a different committee member each month on a wide range of topics. The theme for this month is the SFE YP Year Ahead, a timely topic following our first board meeting of the year this month. We have lots to share around what’s happening in 2021 in order to meet our ambition of delivering more to our members and optimising the impact SFE YP has on the sector, so it was great to get the committee together and create a robust and achievable plan.
NEW YEAR, NEW LOGO
The first announcement that I am excited to be sharing with you today is the SFE YP brand refresh. We wanted to start the new year with a fresh, vibrant and recognisable brand to complement our vision for the SFE YP Network. You’ll be seeing more of our new look through our many planned deliverables in 2021 – more on that below.
SFE YP: WHO ARE WE
The committee kicked off the meeting by reflecting on what it means to be part of the SFE YP Network and jotted down some words that come to mind around what SFE YP stands for. For me, this part of the session really emphasised the passion and commitment of the committee to make a difference.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM SFE YP THIS YEAR
We have a lot of exciting ideas on how we can make a difference in 2021.First and foremost, we wanted to create a regular structure of delivery so you know what to expect. Here’s what you can expect on a regular basis:
- Monthly speaker events - after the success of the eight leadership events we ran last year, our committee is working to provide a virtual opportunity each month to give you access to industry leaders discussing topical issues.
- Monthly comms - monthly blogs written by SFE Young Professionals on topics that matter to members along with monthly newsletters.
- Quarterly SFE YP coffee mornings - pro-longed lockdown increases our demand to look out for each other and to create new ways of connecting. We’ve set up a sub-committee to launch SFE YP’s Virtual Coffee Mornings, providing our members with networking opportunities across the industry.
WHAT ELSE IS COMING UP IN 2021
The committee agreed to set up workstreams to deliver four new opportunities to our members this year.
- SFE YP mentorship and tiered role opportunities
- SFE YP coffee mornings
- SFE YP Instagram
- SFE YP wellbeing and sustainability initiatives
We also have some really exciting initiatives in the pipeline to help make an impact in the sector, which you’ll hear more about soon.
- Mental health in the workplace in collaboration with the Scottish Association for Mental Health (SAMH) and SeeMe. Look out for a Mental Health in the Workplace Survey in Q2.
- SFE’s Unified Schools Programme (USP), all SFE YP members have the opportunity to be part of this initiative to encourage and inspire school pupils to consider and explore a career path in financial services.
- Climate and sustainability, we are working on our SFE YP strategy on this topic, and will look to share our plans with you in the coming months.
- Scottish Financial Services Strategy, there will be opportunities for SFE YP members to participate in the implementation of the strategy once it’s completed in Spring. Committee members have attended workshops as part of SFE’s process to refresh the strategy.
THREE THINGS TO DO NOW
- Fill out our first ever SFE YP Member Survey here. We want to make sure our strategy hits the mark for our members, so please do take this opportunity to have your say.
- Read about SFE’s Unified Schools Programme (here) and contact SFE YP Committee member Stephen Friel (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you want to be involved in virtual events with schools to inspire pupils to explore a career in financial services.
- Register as an official SFE YP member (open to everyone) to receive our monthly newsletter and a first look at upcoming events and opportunities: sign up here
Finally, it is really important to us that you, our members, know we are here, and we are contactable. Whether you want to provide feedback, have ideas or would like a virtual coffee - particularly during these strange and virtual times - don’t hesitate to reach out. We are all in this together, and we (the committee) are really excited to work with you all to make a positive difference to our industry. You can find the committee’s LinkedIn details here, please reach out.
SFE YP Chair